dd. 16 May 2011
This page gives only the English translation of the Geocaching Rules.
Please find here the current Russian Geocaching
By browsing the web site you agree with and accept the Geocaching Rules summarised below
1. Playing geocaching means hiding your own caches and finding those created by others.
2. The game encourages:
- 2.1. Creation of varied and interesting caches.
- 2.2. Writing geocaching stories, taking photos and sharing them online .
- 2.3. Active and healthy life-style.
3. Finding the cache 1:
- 3.1. The cache is considered found after you have logged the event in the log on page of a geocache.
- 3.2. A virtual cache is considered found after you have sent an answer to its virtual question and
received a confirmation that it is correct. The answer shall be sent to the Administration of the
game and/or the cache owner via special function on the web-site, cache owner profile or via e-mail.
- 3.3. You may take any item from the cache, provided that you leave a replacement of at least the
same value. In this case you should sign in the logbook what's been taken and put in.
- 3.4. Return the container to its original location.
- 3.5. Share your geocaching stories and photos online.
4. Making cache1:
- 4.1. The cache must be dedicated to a remarkable place of interest. The latter can be a natural,
architectural, cultural, or historical attraction. The cache may also contain an original quest
- 4.2. You can link only one cache to a place of interest. Please refer to FAQ for details .
- 4.3. You can't publish caches with poor description or incorrect coordinates. Texts "to be
added", "will post later" etc are treated as poor description .
- 4.4. If the cache quest task does not specify taking photos, your photo of the cache does not count
for the cache score. If the cache quest task does not specify taking photos, your photo of the cache
does not count for the cache score.
- 4.5. The cache description must contain all necessary warnings on potential dangers and special
- 4.6. Any geocache which violates the rules or has significant count of mistakes in the description
can be subject to moderation, no matter when it was created. The player’s first cache is
pre-moderated. More details on pre-moderation can be found in FAQ.
- 4.7. The conditions of finding the cache have to be equal for all players.
5. The following actions are forbidden in the game:
- 5.1. Creating caches on private or secured area, restricted for public access.
- 5.2. Creating caches dedicated to military and secured controlled-access sites.
- 5.3. Dedicating two or more caches to one and the same place of interest.
- 5.4. Placing into the cache items, which:
- are illegal (weapons, drugs etc)
- are unhealthy (alcohol, tobacco etc).
- are for adults only – kids play our game too.
- are perishable and harmful.
- smell strongly .
- can damage or destroy the cache (break with severe frost or heat, attract wild animals etc).
- 5.5. Hiding and seeking the container in winter save for the cases when the cache Owner explicitly
allowed it in the description of the cache. Winter is not exactly the formal calendar season, it's
rather the time when the ground is covered with snow, the water freezes and the air temperature is
below 0 C.
- 5.6. Logging the virtual question answer at cache logbook or in any other public space.
- 5.7. . Taking any actions aimed at twisting the rating of the players and caches (e.g. creating of
additional accounts on the web-site, collusive arrangements between players, fake reporting of a
found cache, evaluating caches together with other playing mates etc).
- 5.8. Reporting a cache found and evaluating it without attending it and completing the task set by
its cache Owner.
6.The following actions are prohibited on the web site:
- 6.1. Swearing.
- 6.2. Offending other players.
- 6.3. Publishing false information on a cache which can harm other playersе.
- 6.4. Quoting sources and using photos without reference to the copyright owner.
7. Best practice in the game is:
- 7.1. Treating other players with respect.
- 7.2. Using the valid, preferably literary, Russian language on cache pages and on the Forum.
- 7.3. Creating interesting and full scale description of a cache, showing its unique properties,
rather than just putting the links to other informational resources.
- 7.4. Making a virtual back up cache for winter.
- 7.5. Putting decent prizes into the cache container; broken, unusable, dirty, rotten things are not
- 7.6. Taking care of your caches, restoring the virtual part or container if they are destroyed or
lost, answering other players’ inquiries.
- 7.7. Sharing the impressions of the cache logging the event on the web-page of the cache.
Creating your first cache after you have found several other caches
8. At the end of the year we measure the progress made.
- 8.1. The results are determined 10 days prior to the End-of Year Meeting.
- 8.2. After the End-of-Year meeting a voting is held for the next year Geocachers Board.
9. The Administration of the game reserves the following rights:
- 9.1. to delete the caches breaking the rules.
- 9.2. to delete the reports on the cache visit in case the rules were breached.
- 9.3. to block registered players, neglecting the norms and standards of conduct and the Rules of the
10. Responsibility and warranty:
- 10.1. . The Administration does not guarantee the continuity of the web-site, nor its quality or
functionality, and allows the access to the web site 'as is'.
- 10.2. The Administration cannot be held liable for loss or damage, which may arise in connection
with the usage of the web- site of its materials, as well as for the quality, authenticity and
actuality of the materials, placed by the players on the web-sate.
- 10.3. The Administration does not bear responsibility for the statements of the web-site users and
may not share their point of view.
- 10.4. . Geocaching, being an adventure activity or tourism, has got some embedded risks for personal
health or property. Before seeking for or creating a cache, please consider your physical state, the
equipment needed, the weather conditions, the length and complexity of a route. The Administration
is not liable for the risks, associates with the search and creation of the caches.
1 You can find additional information and recommendations on the creation and search of
caches in sections "Making a cache" (Rus), "Finding a cache" (Rus) и "FAQ" (Eng) .